History was made in UNIZIK during the SSANU election as Mrs. Njideka Nwangwu became the first woman elected to head SSANU since inception.
The election which was obviously very free and fair was observed by two National Officers of SSANU, VP East, Dr. Ador Leku and Eastern/Zonal Treasurer Com. Ken Njoku. The process was held simultaneously at both Nnewi and Awka Campuses.
At the end, these emerged as executive members in different elected posts.
Elected SSANU Executive members
- Njideka Nwangwu – Chairman
- Okafor Uche Patrick – Vice-Chancellor
- Nkwuaku Bonny Ozo – Secretary
- Chukwudi Anthonia .C. – Secretary
- Nwafor Grace Obiageli – Treasurer
- SAM-Chiemezie Uchenna – Financial Secretary
- Okafor Confidence Kenneth – PRO
- John Rufus Ijeoma Dora – Women Leader
- Ezema Gabriel .U. – Trustee
- Njelita Louis .O – Ex-Officio
Speaking after the swearing in, the new Chairman, Com. Njideka Nwangwu pledged to serve the branch well. Many SSANU members in UNIZIK commended highly the 2016 Electoral Board, when they interacted with UNIZIK Bulletin crew after the election.
The members of the Electoral board are:
- Paul Okafor (Physical Planning) – Chairman
- David Okaforeze (Religion & Human Relations) – Member
- Ukeje Sunday (Works, Nnewi) – Member
- Chukwuekee Kenechukwu (Security Dept.) – Member
- Ikenta Chinedu H. (Agulu Campus) – Member
- Lady Uzor Theresa (Sports, Nnewi) – Member
- Okonkwo Ebere (DIPR) – Member
- Okafor Chinyere (Med. Centre, Awka) – Member
– VC RECEIVES NEW SSANU EXCOS
Meanwhile, the newly elected executive members of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) UNIZIK branch, in the company of the Electoral Board Chairman, Arc. Osita Paul Okafor were at the Office of the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Joseph E. Ahaneku FAS recently to present the association’s newly elected officers to him.
Welcoming them, the Vice-Chancellor Prof. Joseph Ahaneku appreciated the Electoral Board for conducting a free and fair election. He also congratulated the new officers, who according to him, have been entrusted with the responsibilities of directing the affairs of the association for the next four years.
The Vice-Chancellor reiterated his concern on the welfare of staff and solicited the support of SSANU towards achieving that. He urged the new executive to discharge their responsibilities properly; he also emphasized on dedication and commitment as essential ingredients in effective service delivery.
The Vice-Chancellor also pointed out that the University Management has always enjoyed cordial relations with all the past administrations and expressed hope that the new executive members will follow the stead. He also advised them to place themselves in servant position as they owe allegiance to the welfare of every member of the Union and to the entire University Community.
In her speech, the newly elected Chairperson, Mrs. Njideka Nwangwu commended the Vice-Chancellor for his support to the association describing him as a father and a labour friendly Chief Executive. She also promised to lift SSANU UNIZIK branch high both in quality, discipline and output.
She said her mission is to create a viable Union that will not only achieve improvement in the welfare of members but will be a major player in the overall progress of the University. She also prayed for continuous support from the University Management and all SSANU members.